The Great Start Parent Coalition Overview
The Great Start Parent Coalition ensures authentic parent voice in the goals and direction of the Mason - Lake - Oceana Great Start Collaborative. The number of parents and guardians who can join the coalition is unlimited. Across our three counties, parents have formed strong coalitions to promote the belief that every child from birth to age eight needs and deserves a great start in life.
The Purpose of the Great Start Parent Coalition
- To assist in building public support and will for early childhood investment through parent voice and educational activities at the local and state level
- To support and be engaged in driving the work of the Mason-Lake-Oceana Great Start Collaborative
- To serve as the parent voice to the Great Start Collaborative, giving them a way to better understand the needs and concerns of all families in our community
- To educate policy-makers on the importance of investing in the first eight years of life and the essential role that parents and families play in the lives of young children. The Coalition supports the work of the Mason-Lake-Oceana Great Start Collaborative but also has the authority to support other work in the community that it deems appropriate and necessary for the good of children and families.
Ways to Get Involved
- Regularly attend and participate in Parent Coalition meetings
- Support Parent Coalition and Great Start Collaborative activities and events
- Actively share information about the Parent Coalition through your circle of friends, family, and acquaintances
- Volunteer at Parent Coalition and Great Start Collaborative events
- Visit and/or make calls to your legislators
- Offer feedback about your experiences with early childhood initiatives, programs, and services
Parents who are members of the Great Start Parent Coalition are volunteers. Support for child care and transportation is provided through on site child care at meetings and trainings. A meal is also provided at every meeting.